Sunday, April 26, 2009

OWO FODO ADOBE


"Owo-foro-adobe is the adinkra symbol of a snake climbing a tree. The Akan observed the action of a little snake attempting to get to the top of a tall raffia tree and were impressed by its actions. At first glance, it seemed that the snake was attempting an insurmountable task. The Akan noticed that the snake would creep upward inch by inch, constantly moving, and constantly inching upwards. Eventually, in time, he reached the top of the tree."

"There may come a time in a persons life when his goals seem unobtainable the goals may seem hopelessly distant, similar to the snake trying to get to the top of the raffia tree. The individual may feel distraught because of the enormous task or endeavor. Goals or aspirations may seem unattainable or beyond ones reach. Owo-foro-adobe speaks of overcoming such circumstances by accomplishing a seemingly impossible task or achieving an unusual goal. Like the snake climbing the raffia tree, individuals should emulate the snake by working hard to obtain their personal and social goals in life."

It is a mantra for me now:

“Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.”
I so believe it. And I will continue to recite this affirmation as I move forward, continuing on a path that I feel destined to walk. Despite the seeming chaotic nature of life in general, there are still opportunities to claim some small part of it for yourself. This journey of mine will not end in two weeks when I graduate with a Bachelors Degree in English, (although the blog may). I am happy to report that, though it was a small challenge, I will be continuing my studies in the fall as a graduate student at the big university in Atlanta. (Are mature students in graduate school still considered “non-traditional”?)

For those of you who have been interested in my adventure, and silently rooting for me, I give thanks.

1 Comments:

At 7:56 AM , Blogger Jonny Tez said...

This has been very inspirational, your powerful words. Thank you and good luck on your journey I'm sure the ancestors are watching.
Asante sana

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home