Monday, August 14, 2006

Books? Bring It On


Why couldn’t I have been this excited about school as a kid? The semester begins next week, and I decided to beat the rush by getting my books ahead of time. As much as I love academia, I am convinced that it is a racket, a hustle. Why else would I have three different anthologies for English classes, three different volumes for Spanish, and three different books for the same Math class? Even if the school keeps the same publisher, the edition changes every year, if not semester. But, for the English major, it just means adding more literature references to my personal library. And, this year I must say I have some books on my reading list that I can’t wait to explore.

First, I have to read Black Boy by Richard Wright for two of my classes. This is a book that I read many years ago, and although its been a while, and I don’t quite remember it, I’m looking forward to reading it again. Then there’s Autobiography for My Mother by Jamaica Kincaid, whom I’ve never read but always wanted to. There’s also Everyday Use by Alice Walker. Consider now, these are American and Modern American literature classes, not African American. I’m also taking a Post Colonial Lit class with a reading list that includes Clear Light of Day by Indian author Anita Desai, Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie and Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. Now throw in some Willa Cather, Nella Larsen, William Faulkner, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Mary Mccarthy, Andrea Levy and Kathrine Anne Porter, and I’ve got a lot of reading to do, mon!

Finally, fun reading during the school year.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 5:56 PM , Blogger Jill said...

Things Fall Apart is great!!

 
At 6:16 PM , Blogger persistence said...

I have a really large collection of books (I use to work for a distributor) with a lot of books that I 'collected' in the event I couldn't afford to purchase anymore...really, that was the reason. This is one of those books that I've had for YEARS just sitting around getting dusty. I've been told before that it was good, had been meaning to get to it, and the edition that I have is so small, I probably could have read it in a day. But, of course the school has the latest edition, with commentaries and so forth, so I had to buy it anyway.

 
At 3:17 PM , Blogger BLUE said...

gurrrl ... you gon' be madbusy having fun.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home