Wednesday, July 12, 2006

So Many Books, Not Enough Time


There is an episode of The Twilght Zone, titled "Time Enough At Last" starring Burgess Meridith, in which he portrays a bank teller who loves books, but never has enough time to read. His bifocaled character, Henry Bemis, wishes for and is granted enough time to finally read all the glorious books he wants when a nuclear attack leaves him the last man on earth; stuck in a library. The problem is that when he realizes what has happened, he clumsily drops his eyeglasses, shattering them to pieces. So, now he has all these books, all this time, and no way to read. What a bummer. That's how I feel during the school semester. I have so much to read for classes that I don't have time for fun (read mostly fiction) reading. I usually don't take more than one class during the summer, so that's the time for my fun reading. And, this summer, I didn't sign up for any classes at all in preparation for my big move to full-time student in the fall. So, I've got a big summer reading list. I've already finished The Farming of Bones by Edwidge Danticant, and I'm almost done with The Bondwoman's Narrative by Hannah Crafts, and edited by Henry Louis Gates, Jr. But, it's already July! School begins in August, and I still have more to go.

The Farming of Bones, Edwidge Danticant
The Bondwoman's Narrative, Hannah Crafts
The Known World, Edward P. Jones
Eats, Shoots, and Leaves, Lynne Truss
Beginning Theory, Peter Barry
Clotel or The President's Daughter, William Wells Brown
Bellocq's Ophelia, Natasha Tretheway
And, if I can get to them...

Our Nig, Harriett Wilson (also edited by Henry Louis Gates, Jr.)
1996, Gloria Naylor

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home